Choose Life. . .



Bill McKenna has said: "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well- preserved piece,
but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Moses said: "...therefore, choose life..." (Deuteronomy 30:19).

I choose life - with all its choices, challenges and changes!

How about you?


Thursday, February 9, 2012

Some Things Never Change - Guest Post

Last week I introduced you to my Grandpa Taylor and told you a bit about his quiet influence on my life. This week I’ve invited him to guest-blog on To Be Determined…No, he never heard the term, blog, and he passed away over half a century ago, but I found this “little story” as he called his jottings, from the early 1940’s, and thought it fitting to share with you, just as he wrote it.

THE SPRING TIME
By Clarence E. Taylor

There is standing by my window a large cherry tree and since it dropped its leaves last fall it has looked just like a dead tree. The winter storms beat and thrashed the branches till I wondered if it ever would show life again. But the days are getting longer and more sunshine, so I decided to examine the tree to see if it were really dead.
Well there seemed to be a tiny dark little lump on the branches. I will go again in about five days, so I did.  The dark little lump seemed to be a bit larger and not quite so dark. 

I will wait another five days before I visit the tree. Well of all things believe it or not my dark lump on the branch has bursted (sic), and there before my eyes was the tiniest little leaf, perfect in form, and a bright green, surely smiling down at me. 
Well was that a happen! 

My history tells me that thing has been going on for thousands of years, and if I ask the scientist he will say, yes and even for millions of years.
Well then, some power has done this and if it has really been doing this for so long that power is infinite, eternal and unchangeable and the Bible calls that God. So as I look at the little leaf smiling at me, I know surely God is close by. God in his nature.

Then I turn about and there is my little friend, Doc Robin, close by me. We are great friends. He does not want me to pick him up, no, just too busy to be that friendly.
He comes along every spring, I named him last spring. I see him make a little run, stop and listen, then again a run and he plunges his sharp bill into the soft ground and pulls out a worm.

Off he goes to the tall elm tree to Annie Robin who is keeping the eggs warm and dry. Doc has her breakfast with him for her. These robins are living the life that was intended for them since the first Robin. 

We read not even the sparrow falls to the ground but what God knows all about it.  Again I see God in the bird nature, so if we look about us carefully we will see God in many things.

Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will….Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.  Matthew 10:29, 31

No comments:

Post a Comment